Thunderstruck is an online slot based on Norse mythology. It’s a Microgaming slot that has stood the test of time and proved to be so popular that a follow-up game was released. Despite it’s age, the graphics are on a par with many recent slots from lesser known developers. It offers enjoyable and immersive gameplay on desktop and mobile devices.
How To Play Thunderstruck Slot
Before you play slots online, it’s a good idea to learn how the features work. Click on ‘View Payout’ either side of the Thunderstruck logo to see the values for each prize symbol and mappings for the bet lines.
Both of Thor’s hammer symbols (head & grip) are equally the most valuable of the standard icons and are worth 750 coins for 5 in a row. In order to get a return, matching symbols must appear in succession from left to right on an active bet line, starting at the leftmost reel.
The face of Thor himself characterises the wild symbol and can substitute for any symbol, except scatter symbols. Wilds double the payout of any combination completed with standard symbols. The wild also creates its own winning combination when multiple symbols appear on an enabled payline, which are not doubled. Get 5 wilds in succession for the 10,000 coin jackpot payout.
Scatter symbols are denoted by a pair of rams and do not need to be on the same bet line. 2 or more scatters anywhere on the reels will award a multiplier of the overall bet for that spin. The multiplier begins at 2x and goes up to 500x for 5 scatter symbols. These winnings are added to any bet line winnings. 3 or more scatter symbols will initiate the free spins game. Here you will have 15 free spins where wins are given a 3x multiplier and you can trigger additional free spins by getting the necessary scatters in the free spins game. The value of wins in the free spins game is relative to the bet on the spin that unlocked the free spins game.
Setting up Thunderstruck online slot is a simple process, begin by clicking ‘Expert’ to call up the full array of options. Click ‘Select Lines’ to decide how many bet lines you wish to activate. Then use the + & – buttons to select your coin value and click ‘Select Coins’ to determine how many coins you wish to place on each active bet line. The overall cost per spin will be displayed under the ‘Bet’ heading, if you’re happy with the amount displayed, click ‘Spin’ to start playing.
Alternatively, you can click ‘5x’ or ‘10x’ to initiate the number of auto spins displayed. Further auto spin controls are located on a control panel which is accessible via the ‘Auto Play’ button. Be careful when using the ‘Max Bet’ button as the cost per spin will be automatically be set to 45x the coin value displayed.
Thunderstruck Slot Tips
Thunderstruck slot is hugely popular and can be played at Microgaming casinos such as Casino Floor and Hippodrome Casino. You won’t see it featured in any welcome packages or casino promotions these days but it can be played with bonus cash from sign-up offers if you wish. However, it’s important to bear in mind that this slot could just as easily wipe out your bonus balance as give it a significant boost. There are often some lengthy spells between notable wins but when they come around you can get a tidy return.
The wilds in the base game are not overly active but do help to keep a few low-key wins flowing in. You’ll need to be super-lucky to get 5 wilds for the jackpot payout of 10,000 coins but it is entirely possible. However, your best chance of landing a decent prize comes in the free spins game where wins are tripled. We only hit a few wins when testing the free spins game and still came out with 24x our stake. Getting more hits and unlocking further free spins will naturally give better returns, so you can see the potential here.
Is Thunderstruck The Right Slot For You?
If you’re looking to enjoy a reasonably long play session but want the potential to win big, then Thunderstruck video slot is ideal. You’ll need a suitable bankroll for this medium variance slot as modest stacks can easily diminish. You can expect to get a handful of mediocre wins while trying to unlock the feature but the wait can certainly be worthwhile. If you like the way it plays and want to target even bigger wins, then you should check out Thunderstruck II which has a higher variance.
The return to player (RTP) is good at 96.0% and leaves the casino with a 4.0% house edge. This basically means that over long-term play you stand a chance of winning the majority of your stakes back. It’s little surprise then, that this is a slot that seasoned players come back to time and time again.
Granted, the graphics are a little dated when compared to newer releases from leading developers but the gameplay is simplistic which makes it a very approachable game. There are no bonus games or pointless animations for insignificant wins and it’s very much a slot for players that like to spin without any gimmicks.